Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Despair.

This  mail was in response to Mr.Ramanjaneyalu's mail" Wanted a Pay commission for farmers" in GM Free India. I would like to suggest the readers to read his mail in the following link.
http://agrariancrisis.in                                                                                                                  Kannaiyan

After GATT agreement was signed and WTO came in to existence, import of food grains , sugar, oilseeds etc have witnessed its increase. Farmers can not even be compared with the last cadre servant in government. We need a development model which should ensure a decent standard of life to all. Control over key resources of agriculture should remain with farming communities.
Failure of farmers movements to understand and address the key issues, feudal values of the landed farmers, opportunistic farmers leaders, arrogance of the educated intellectuals in the rural communities, etc are the reasons for this condition. I don’t know whether an income commission will bring income to farmers or not.
I came to farmer’s movement few years back as a full time activist. I found it no ordinary job .I stayed in Thamizhaga Vivasayigal Sangam’s thatched office premises in Erode for about a year. Farmers rarely visited the office, but real estate brokers who  buy and sell farmers land were visiting the office and using it as their contact place. I left the farmers association office and stay in my home.
WTO’s Dhoha round is stalled. Free Trade Agreements are being pushed aggressively. Farmers are not connecting anything to policies. Farmer’s leaders are talking the very old demands of MSP and market price to their lands etc. They are not even debating seed bill.
Policy makers and rulers want farmers should get out from farming. Farmers also doing the same thing.
This is not response to Ramoo’s mail. He has given me an opportunity to share my despair.  

PS.
I have been associated with Thamizhaga Vivasayigal Sangam( Farmer's Association of Tamil Nadu) since 2007 and represented the association in various National and International forums.  Due to prolonged difference of opinion and unhealthy work environment within the association I have resigned from the framers association from today.I am still organising Thalavady Farmers Association and associated wit the South Indian Coordination Committee of Farmers Movements(SICCFM). I will continue to work for the causes of food sovereignty and for the rights of farming community which feeds the world.

No comments: